IP Chat Channel
Intellectual Property Owners Association’s weekly one-hour webinar series on current topics in IP are produced in cooperation with host Pamela Sherrid, former editor of IP Law & Business magazine. Listen to presentations by experts who will answer your questions immediately!
Registration Fee: $130 per user Government/Academic Rates are available upon written request to email@example.com
2014 Scheduled Webinars
Conflicts of Interest: Opinions of Counsel and Patent Litigation (including Disqualification)
Wednesday, April 23 at 2:00pm ET
***IPO will apply for Ethics CLE credit in most states***
Patent practice offers many opportunities for conflicts of interest between corporate clients and their law firm attorneys. This webinar will examine conflict rules and scenarios in both opinion work and litigation. Our panel includes the deputy chief of IP at a major multinational company, a leading academic authority on IP and legal ethics and an experienced patent litigator. Their discussion will
- quickly review the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, implementation by states, and differences among regional circuits regarding disqualification;
- discuss conflict scenarios involving opinion work, such as when a corporate client hires a law firm to opine that a patent is invalid, only to discover that the firm represents the patent owner;
- assess varying scenarios involving conflicts in litigation, such as whether a law firm should ask a client for a waiver to represent a party opposing the client, and conflicts arising after information is shared during “meet-and-greet” sessions between a law firm and a potential client; and
- examine where the line falls between clear-cut ethical lapses and client expectations of loyalty.
- John Cheek, Caterpillar Inc.
- Lisa Dolak, Syracuse University College of Law
- Christopher Larus, Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi, LLP
The Internet of Things (loT): IP Challenges in a Connected World
Wednesday, April 30 at 2:00pm ET
- Marc Sandy Block, IBM Corp.
- Jorge Contreras, American University Washington College of Law
- Scott Gilfillan, Intel Corp.
Are Digital Transmissions an “Article” under Section 337? Looking Ahead to the Federal Circuit
Thursday, May 8 at 2:00pm ET
- Jonathan Engler, Adduci, Mastriani & Schaumberg, LLP
- Bart Eppenauer, Shook, Hardy & Bacon, LLP
- Darryl Woo, Fenwick & West LLP
IP Chat Channel webinars are available on-demand two days after the live webinar. A webinar can be viewed one-time only, either immediately or up to 14 days after payment. Topics are searchable within each of the categories below.
IPO’s IP CHAT CHANNEL HOST
Pamela Sherrid Former editor of IP Law & Business magazine and a reporter and writer at Fortune, Forbes and U.S. News & World Report.
For general inquiries or if you would like to be notified of future IP Chat Channel webinars or meetings, e-mail your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 507-4500.
Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Credit CLE will be available for registered attendees only. Registered attendees must login under their attendee ID in order to verify attendance. Once an attendee completes a course, a completed certificate of attendance must be submitted to IPO in order to receive credit (CofAs are provided by IPO once attendance is verified – usually 2-3 business days). LIVE WEBINARS: IPO is applying for CLE for all live programs in the majority of the states that require CLE. IPO will not be applying for CLE in the states of Florida, Ohio, South Carolina, or Texas (attorneys in TX may submit up to 5 hours of self-study credit). ON-DEMAND WEBINARS: For webinars recorded February 14, 2013 to present date, IPO is applying for CLE credit in CA, NJ, PA and VA. At this time, IPO is not applying in any other states. For webinars recorded prior to February 14, 2013, IPO will not be applying for CLE credit. For questions regarding which states IPO will apply to or other CLE related questions, contact email@example.com or call (202) 507-4500.
Cancellation Policy Cancellations must be in writing and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of two business days before the program start date to receive a refund, less a $50 processing fee. Please save all email correspondence to and from IPO. If you do not receive a confirmation email from WebEx within 24 hours of registering, please contact IPO at email@example.com or 202-507-4500. Refunds are processed within 14 business days following the receipt of a written request. No-shows, late arrivals, unattended programs, or early departures are not eligible for refunds. Refunds are only applied to the same credit card that purchased the site registration.
Sponsorship Opportunities For information on sponsorship opportunities please contact Clara Stanfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 507-4500.